Middle School Program (6-8)
The American School of Milan's Middle School Program is tailored to international and internationally-minded students in grades 6-8. The program provides an opportunity to learn in a multi-cultural environment which promotes awareness and understanding of diverse cultures and supports students’ emerging independence by allowing them greater levels of responsibility for their actions and achievements. Our aim at ASM, is to provide a smooth transition from childhood through adolescence by offering a caring, safe, and supportive climate that enhances our school values: empowerment, respect and accountability.
A Milan Middle School Focused On Bettering Its Students
ASM offers middle school students a wide range of exploratory opportunities, academic and otherwise. We incorporate a variety of teaching strategies and assessment techniques which focus on active, student-centered learning in core and elective subject areas. We are aware that students think and learn in a variety of styles and that we must accommodate them by using diversified instructional materials and techniques, including problem-solving in teams so that students learn to look beyond themselves and acquire self-confidence in their abilities to contribute their unique gifts and talents to the group.
Harnessing The Power of Technology
Technological proficiency is an important component of the program and we incorporate National Educational Technology standards into all subject areas and monitor students’ acquisition of 21st century skills in reports twice a year. All students in our international middle school must be responsible for creating and maintaining their own E portfolio. Middle school students also participate in faculty-led community service projects focusing on serving our own community and the local Milan area in order to develop students’ community awareness and a sense of responsibility towards others.
Program Highlights include:
- Core Subjects: Math, Science, English and Humanities
- Electives: Theatre, Programming and Robotics, Technology & Design, Movie-making, Digital Art, Astrobiology, Creative Writing, Graphic Novels, Songwriting, Band, Choir, Dance and more
- Language options: Italian, French and Spanish
- Optional Terza Media exam preparation for native Italian students
- Rich Music Program with choir, string/band orchestra and instrumental music
- October Field-Trip program to enhance classroom learning and bond with other students and teachers
- ELL program for English
- Language Learners
- Learning Support program to enhance grade level curriculum(s) in English, Humanities and Math
- National Junior Honor Society (NJHS)
- Social-Emotional Counseling services
- Community service projects
- MAP Testing in Reading,
- Language and Mathematics
- Accelerated Math in Grade 7 & 8
You may view and download the complete program of studies from the right banner.